Here are a selection of examples of Richard’s writing work
Richard’s full length radio play commissioned by Badapple Theatre entitled “Togetherness can be listened to here; Togetherness by Richard Kay
In 2019 Richard won a Script Yorkshire 30th anniversary radio drama competition. Click here to hear his winning short play; Mistaken Identity
Pantomimes – excerpts from full length panto scripts
- Babes in the Wood excerpt
- Cinderella excerpt 1
- Cinderella excerpt 2
- Dick Whittington excerpt 1
- Dick Whittington excerpt 2
- Snow White excerpt 1
- Snow White excerpt 2
Full pantomime scripts available on request, including (new for 2021/2022) Jack and the Beanstalk and an eco-panto mashup of Sleeping Beauty and the Beast for up to 30 performers.
York Maze “Phantomimes” (full half-hour scripts)
York Maze Summer shows (full half-hour scripts)
- Children’s show/Easter panto performed Easter 2018 by Richard Kay and Jack Alexander
- Commissioned by Little Vikings and Visit York
- Co-production with Badapple Theatre
- Promenade storytelling show commissioned by NT Brimham Rocks
- Celebrating the history and nature of Brimham with a sprinkling of magic and folklore
- Performed December 2021 by Richard Kay
- “Togetherness” tells the story of Barry Thrush. Recently widowed, he decides to record his spoken thoughts for posterity, whilst struggling to know how to immerse himself into the village to which he recently moved.
- After a slightly unusual encounter he begins to realise that he carries as much responsibility as anybody for the village’s dwindling community spirit and he finds a new lease of life through the power of singing together.
- Commissioned by Badapple Theatre Company for their Podbean series
- Performed by Richard Kay, Thomas Frere, Frances Tither and Rachel Watkinson
- The true story of Jennifer Thompson and Ronald Cotton.
- Winner of Script Yorkshire’s 30th Anniversary short radio play competition
- Promenade play commission by York Railways to Greenways Project
- Charting the history of the old East Coast Main Line and the Selby Coal Field
- Performed June 2019 by Richard Kay and Thomas Frere
- An intimate 40-min play exploring the differing ways in which we cope with grief and the impacts on those nearest to us.
- First performed at Friargate Theatre in York as part of The Envelope Project, July 2014, by Claire Morley, James Martin and Rosy Rowley
- In an era of talent shows it is refreshing to see old variety double acts still packing the theatres. However the line between “national treasure” and “public disgrace” has never been finer. How does a rock-solid partnership cope when the past appears to catch up with them?
- 15-minute play
- First performed July 2013 by Andy Love, Thomas Frere and Olivia Jayne Newton at York Theatre Royal’s Studio as part of the ScriptFactor Final
- Finalist in Script Yorkshire Script Factor 2019
- The Wilkinsons revisit their old family holiday destination; to reconnect and discover just how much they have moved on.
- Performed by Martina McClements, Rachel Watkinson and Neil Wood
- Heat Winner in Script Yorkshire Script Factor 2019
- A true story about a case of mistaken identity.
- Performed by Sophie Buckley, John Stonehouse, Rosie Rowley and Amanda Nicole
Children’s Stories and poems:
- Short rhyming story written for Wild Things storytelling event
- Performed with puppets from Badapple Theatre
- Story of a fox calling upon his woodland neighbours to help tackle human littering
- A short story developed with the children at St Mary’s Primary, Selby
- A short story developed for Applefields Special School
- A poem written for Christmas Traditions with the York Phil
- A poem written for an online Father Christmas Offering in 2020
- A poem written for Christmas Traditions with the York Phil for 2021